Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yesterday

Yesterday, October 23, 2010, would have been my grandmother's 80th birthday. It also would have been my grandfather's 90th birthday. (I've always thought it was cool that my grandma and grandpa had the same birthday.)

My father, my aunt, and my uncle (I think my uncle was involved, I'm assuming anyway) put together a "celebration of life" for my grandma. You see, before she passed away, she was planning on having a huge shindig for her 80th birthday. She told her children that she wanted them to throw her a huge party.

My grandmother was the type of person that didn't have a problem telling you exactly what she wanted. I've always admired that about her. I think I have some of that in me, but not to the extent that my grandma did.

Anyway, I don't know what happened in my head, but I completely forgot about it. There would have been no possible way I could have gone, because of school and such, and my family knew that. However, I promised my dad that I would call either him or my aunt, and let them know that I was thinking about them.

My aunt called me this morning. I could tell, even though she'd never say it out loud, that she was disappointed when I told her I'd forgotten about what yesterday was. I don't think I did it intentionally. I didn't intend to do it intentionally anyway. But I felt like scum when she told me that yesterday was a good day, and I had to ask her why.

She blew it over, made me it wasn't that big of a deal. That grandma would understand. She said to me "What would grandma say?" I responded with "Grandma would say 'I've had lots of birthday's' " ... but it didn't make me feel any better.

I haven't spoken to my dad yet. I'm sure though, that when I do, he'll not forget to remind me that I forgot to call him. That I 'forgot' about my grandma.

Sometimes .. I hate my life.

Until Next Time ...
~A

No comments: