Saturday, May 14, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas

I've been wanting to make Chicken Enchiladas for a while.  The last time I made them, I made them with my sister-in-law and they turned out oh so good.  I'm hoping that my venture, with my own reciepe, will turn out just as well.

I'm going to post the ingredients then post the recipe along with pictures.

I hope this works the way I want it to.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 small can (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom AND cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
cilantro (if you like it, if not leave it out)
1/4 cup milk
cooked and shredded or cubed boneless skinless chicken thighs (you could use breasts if you prefer white meat)
shredded cheddar cheese (I used the 4 cheese Mexican blend from Sargento)
Flour tortillas (I was able to fill 6)



What you want to do first is take your meat, either breasts or thighs, and boil them.  I chose thighs because I prefer dark meat.  

To my boiling water I added some salt for flavor and a little bit (one turn around the pan) of EVOO.



Once the meat was cooked (it doesn't take very long) you want to remove the chicken from the water and either shred it or cube it.  

Once your chicken is shredded you can move on with the recipe.  This would be a good time to preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  While you're oven is preheating, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan.  If you have a saucepan with high sides, that would work best. 


 

You're going to add 1/2 cup of chopped green onions to the butter 

Once you've added your green onions, you're going to saute the onions until they are soft.  Once they're soft, you're going to add the can of diced green chilies, the cream of mushroom soup, the cream of chicken soup, and the sour cream.  
Make sure that everything is creamed together well.  Once everything is combined you're going to take3/4 of this mixture and put it in a separate bowl and set it aside.  You're going to need it in a bit. 
Now take your shredded chicken and add it to the remaining 1/4 of the sauce mixture that's still in your saucepan.  Once the chicken is added, add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of shredded cheese.  It's just depending on how cheesy you want your enchiladas.
Now make sure that all the cheese and chicken are incorporated into your sauce mix.  Once the cheese is melted and stringy you're ready to start stuffing your tortillas.  


Now you're ready to start stuffing your tortillas.  Take your tortilla, add a scoop of the chicken mixture and then put cilantro (if you like it) on top of the chicken mixture.  Fold and place seam side down into a lightly greased baking dish.


Now you want to grab your bowl that has your remaining sauce mixture.  Add 1/4 cup of milk to the sauce and mix well.  Once mixed, pour over your enchiladas and cover with cheese and more cilantro (again, you can leave the cilantro out if you don't like it.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes .. or until the cheese is bubbly and delicious!  

Enjoy!!

Until Next Time ...
~A

No comments: