In America, most parts of it anyway, you hear Christmas, and you automatically think of Santa Claus, Christmas Trees, Stockings, and wrapped gifts. Very few people anymore remember how the first Christmas was spent. I'm not going to get all biblical on you, but I am going to share a bit of my faith and beliefs. After all, we're supposed to be in the spirit of giving this time of year, right? What better gift to give, than that of the story of the birth of our Lord, Jesus!!
![]() |
| Willow Tree Nativity Scene |
I know that doesn't give a lot of information, but it gets the jist across. As far as the nativity scene goes, who hasn't seen one of those? The one I pictures above, is one that I hope to one day display in my home. I've always had a yearning to own Willow Tree figurines, and I think the nativity scene is simple enough to capture the essence of what it represents, and extraordinarily beautiful at the same time.
Anyway let's get back to my point. How did we get from the birth of child in a manger, to a fat man in a red suit!? I can't answer that question, but I can say this. Start a new tradition with your family this year. Maybe you already do something similar, maybe you don't.
Take just a few minutes during the holiday to remember how it started. Take just a few minutes to remember the new mother and father that welcomed a baby, a baby that would grow to change the world in so many ways. Take just a few minutes to tell your children about this baby. Take just a few minutes, to make sure the TRUE meaning of Christmas isn't lost ... completely.
Father God,
Help us remember the birth of Jesus, that we may share in the song of the angels, the gladness of the shepherds, and worship of the wise men. Loving Father, when Your precious Son became a tiny baby in a stable in Bethlehem in poverty and simplicity, You changed our world. As we imagine those surroundings, we join with the shepherds and the wise men in wonder and praise. We thank You for our material lives, praise You for our spiritual lives, and trust You for our eternal life. Amen
Until Next Time ...
Merry Christmas, and God Bless!!!
~A

No comments:
Post a Comment