Sunday, September 26, 2010

Postmortem



I've jumped back into this book. I've read it before, but I wanted to re-read it so that I could continue with the series. I remember certain things about it from the first time I read it, but I couldn't remember the entire thing. So, I decided that if I wanted to get the full effect, I'd have to re-read.

Since we took a trip to the library this weekend, I decided this would be a good time to start. I probably should have thought my little plan through a bit more though, seeing as how I start back to school tomorrow. I have a full load too. I know I've covered it already, but it really is kind of overwhelming. It's going to take a lot of determination on my part though.

So the cover of the book is kind of macabre, but then again, the title should have been a clue. The entire book is kind of macabre. I'm like 5 chapters into the book, and I'm just as hooked as I was the first time I read it. I'm sure this time around it'll take me a bit longer than 3 days to read it, with my school schedule, but I have it for 21 (well, 20 now) days, I think I'll be OK.

Anyway, back to my point. There was a paragraph that I just read that made me stop and think about the world we're living in today. I'll share ...
"It has been conjectured that at least one percent of the population is
psychopathic. Genetically, these individuals are fearless; they are people
users and supreme manipulators. On the right side, they are terrific spies,
war heroes, five-star generals, corporate billionaires, and James Bonds. On
the wrong side, they are strikingly evil; the Neros, the Hitlers, the Richard
Specks, the Ted Bundys, antisocial but clinically sane people who commit
atrocities for which they feel no remorse and assume no blame."

Wow. Really? I understand that in this context, a seemingly serial killer is being profiled. However, I wonder if this statistic is more than just fiction in a setting meant to provide entertainment. The quote goes on to further profile said serial killer, but the above excerpt really caught my mind.

I can personally attribute the above qualities to at least one person off the top of my head. How scary is that? Do I think that this person, the person that I thought of, is a serial killer? No. Does that mean that they couldn't be? No. That is the scary part.

I think I've been spending too much time with Dr. Kay Scarpetta. Would you agree?

Until Next Time ... (and hopefully a much brighter topic)
~A

No comments: