Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bakersfield and the like ...

I've totally slacked on my 'travel journal', as it seems I do with any project I set out to start, but this time it wasn't completely my fault.

I was in Bakersfield, and I didn't have wireless Internet access.  So, while I still could access the Internet (through my cell phone) it would have been a huge PITA to try to update my 'travel journal'.  I'm sure a 'die hard blogger' wouldn't have let blogging an update from a cell phone stop her, but let's face it.  I'm not die hard.

None-the-less, even without updating, I have an update.  So, here goes.

We left Modesto on Friday (the 19th) around 3:00pm.  We were supposed to leave around 2:30, but we were running a little bit late.  Naturally we drove through Ceres, and M wanted to do a drive by of our old house.  So that put us just that much more behind schedule.  Normally, there wouldn't be a schedule that we had to follow, but in this case we had plans to meet up with some friends at 4:00pm in Kingsburg, so running late was a big deal.

We made it through Ceres, and onto the freeway.  Shortly after we drove through Turlock, C fell asleep.  Which was completely fine by me.  I was really hoping we weren't going to have to deal with car sickness this time, and if she's asleep .. then no sickies.

We hit traffic right around Fresno, which put us even further behind schedule.  We didn't end up making it to Kingsburg until almost 5:00pm.  It didn't seem to matter much though.

We met up with our friends and settled down to eat dinner.  Since C slept all the way (so far our trip was about an hour and a half) she wasn't car sick.  It was me that was feeling kind of queasy.  We ordered dinner, had really good conversation, and ended up leaving Kingsburg at 7:00pm.

We had originally planned on being in Bakersfield around 7:00pm, but that didn't happen.  We pulled up in front of my dad's house right around 9:00pm.  It was a very uneventful drive, which I was completely OK with.

For those that don't know, Bakersfield is hot.  I'm not talking normal, summer time hot, I'm talking hot like you're sitting on the devil's behind hot.  When it's only getting to 80 degrees inside the house, with the A/C turned on, it's TOO DAMN HOT.   Now I know what you're thinking.  You grew up in California.  You should be used to the heat.  Yes.  I grew up in California, and yes I WAS used to the heat.  But then I moved.  I'm no longer used to the  heat.  It sucks!  Plain and simple.  People can ask me if there's anything I miss about California, and I can promise you, you will NOT find heat on that list.

It was hard to enjoy doing anything outside while I was in Bakersfield, because it was so hot.  We did go to CALM, which is the California Living Museum.  It was kind of neat, but very hot.  We visited The Plaza, because my children are fascinated with going to the mall.  We also went to Bakersfield National Cemetery, which is where my uncle is buried.  That was a touching experience for me.   I'm really glad that I got to see his stone.  It really was beautiful.

That was pretty much it.  We came home (well, back to Modesto) today (8/23).  We'll head home to Eugene on the 30th.  But I promise you this.  Between now and the day we leave Modesto, I WILL be updating my 'travel journal'.

If you're friends with me on Facebook you can check out my profile and see the pictures from our visit in Bakersfield.

That's pretty much all I've got for now.  My eyes are heavy, so I'm done.

Until Next Time ...
~A

No comments: