Anyway .. back to my point.
I was talking about my daughter, Mikaila, and how well she seems to be adjusting to her new school. Her old school, in California, gave some little things for recognizing students that are caught being good, but it seemed like they were given out very sparsely. Apparently that is not the same with her new school.
Mikaila's very first day of school in Oregon, was a nervous day for her. She was concerned that she wasn't going to be able to make any friends, and that she would be alone on the playground, and at lunch. Pretty normal concerns for a kid that's starting a new school.
Anyway, My husband and I dropped her off, and sent her on her way. The rest of my day went by fairly slowly. I was thinking about how she was doing all day long. When we went to pick her up, my nerves were getting the best of me. I was super anxious to hear all about how her day had gone.
It seemed like forever had passed, but she FINALLY came out with the rest of her class. I noticed that there was a little piece of yellow paper in her hand, that it looked like she was trying to hide from me. Of course I automatically assume that she had gotten in trouble. Why I assumed that I don't know. Mikaila is NOT a bad kid, she's actually pretty well behaved in most settings. My plan was to see how long it would take her to show me that little piece of paper.
We get into the car, and she precedes to tell me all about her day. That she had made not one single friend, but 5 friends. At this point, I couldn't take it anymore. I asked her about the little piece of paper she was holding. She handed it to me, and I felt very foolish for thinking she had gotten into trouble. It had a picture of a hand making a "thumbs up" and said, "You've been caught being good".
I have to admit that the tears of a proud mother, started to flow a little bit. I asked her how she got it, and she said that at lunch, the teachers were trying to get the kids to settle down. So she put up her "peace sign" and got a bunch of other kids to follow her example. I was so proud. I am constantly impressed by that little girl. She makes me so proud every single day. She's such an "old soul" .. it sometimes seems that she's much older than her 7 years.
Anyway she has continued to get a "thumbs up" card almost every single day since her first day. One day, she brought home 3 of them.
Never underestimate your children. If you allow them to, they'll surprise you every single day .. sometimes, more than once.
Until Next Time ...
No comments:
Post a Comment