I received a phone call last night. One that I'm referring to as "the dreaded phone call" from my daughters teacher at school.
Near 8pm on a Sunday evening, you don't expect the phone to be ringing and your kids teacher on the other end of the line. A phone call from a teacher isn't always a bad thing, and in this case it wasn't entirely bad, but it wasn't great either. My little girl, is struggling. I hate it. I hate that she's struggling. I hate that she's struggling, and there really isn't anything that I can do to help her. I guess that's not entirely true, but that's how I feel. Helpless.
As her parent, it's my duty to make sure that she has the basic essentials to live her life. Which she does. It's also my duty to provide her with the instructions and knowledge to get through the things in life that are going to be tough, Lord knows there will be plenty of times she'll need that kind of support in her life, and right now is one of those times.
My husband and I are meeting with her teacher tomorrow afternoon, and we're going over a plan of attack to keep her mind sharp during the almost 3 month summer break from school.
Today's homework session went very smoothly, compared to homework session past. I've come to the conclusion that I need to make it "fun" for her, because I think she's getting bored with it. She gets it in her stubborn little head that it "might" be too hard for her, and she just flat gives up on trying. This is new for her. Anyone that knows my Mikaila, knows that she's nothing if she isn't stubborn and headstrong.
Another thing that people know about my Mikaila, is that she's smart. She's a VERY smart little girl. Smart beyond her years sometimes (I often have to remind myself that she's only 7 years old). So I know, that she knows, how to do this stuff, yet, she's lacking the gumption to get it done.
These are the times that I wish children came with owner's manuals. I can remember teasing my mother as a child, talking about the "parenting book" that she and all of my friends mother's must have taken together, and the book that they all had to have read together. She used to always say to me "You'll understand when you're a mom". Boy, was she right. Oh how I hate to admit that, but it's the gospel truth.
I understand, and oh how I wish that imaginary book DID exist. I swear I'd have read it from cover to cover about 30 times by now.
For those that actually read my blog, if you're a praying person, please say a prayer. Not only for my little one, that this time of struggle will pass and she'll be able to do what I (and her teacher) know she's capable of, but for me as well. That I'll have the knowledge and the ability to get her over this hurdle (one of the many she's going to have to jump) and allow her to reach the confidence that I know she has.
Until Next Time ...
~A
1 comment:
Girl update,please!!
Post a Comment